All its takes it one tap to start the domino effect and that already seems to be in motion for Kevin Pietersen. Just last week, he was suspended from the last test against South Africa after admitting to sending offensive texts to their players. And now the 32 year old has not been included in the Twenty20 World Cup as well as the one-day series against South Africa.
The selector, Geoff Miller, said that there were still doubts on Pietersen’s future career and thus at the moment he will not play the two tournaments. The earlier match of England versus South Africa resulted in the former losing the match by a total of 51 runs. The series ended with a 2-0.
There will be five one-day international matches between England and South Africa which will start on Friday. The World Cup will begin next month and will be captained by Stuart Broad. He will be taking two weeks off to be prepared for the World Cup that is coming up.
“Stuart has an important period coming up leading our T20 side and … we feel a two-week break from cricket is in the best interests of both him and the team,” said Miller.
Pietersen had a huge role to play in the Twenty20 World Cup last year He hinted in May that he may be retiring from cricket but then the statement was taken back last week after the sms controversy. England coach admits that it is very unfortunate that Pietersen will not be able to play as he was an asset to the team last year. However he also said that the decision to include him comes from the best of interests for the entire team and Pietersen.
“There are unresolved issues that have reared their heads in recent weeks and they have to be resolved before there is any way forward”.
Andy Flower, England coach, said that there were certain issues to be taken care of and it would take substantial amount of time as trust issues had been violated. Meanwhile, he said, Strauss will cooperate on the matter and try to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Strauss is taking a break from playing at the moment.